Deadline: January 6, 2017
Send entries for the World Press Photo Contest. The annual photo contest rewards photographers for the best single exposure pictures contributing to the past year of visual journalism. The contest is organized into categories and judged by a jury comprising leading photojournalism professionals.
Entries may fall into any of the following categories:
- contemporary Issues
- Daily Life
- General News
- Long term projects
- Spot Newa
See more information on the various categories.
- The prize-winning photographs are assembled into an exhibition that travels to 45 countries and is seen by more than 4 million people each year;
- The winning pictures are also published in the yearbook, which is available in multiple languages, and can be purchased;
- All award winners are brought to Amsterdam in April to receive their prize during the World Press Photo Festival of Visual Journalism, a two-day event featuring photographer presentations, screenings, talks, and the Awards Ceremony.
1. The World Press Photo contest is only open to professional photographers. This must be established by providing proof of professional status (including, but not limited to, a scan of a press card; membership document from a professional photographic association; journalism union membership card; letter of reference from a photo agency, photo editor or publication);
2. The photographer(s) must be the author(s) of the pictures submitted in his/her/their name;
3. The photographer(s), or the agent or representative entering on their behalf, must be the copyright holder(s) or have been authorized by the copyright holder(s) to submit the pictures;
4. A picture can only be entered once, either as a single picture or as part of a story, or as part of a body of work in Long-Term Projects. Pictures submitted more than once will be removed from the contest;
5. Pictures can be submitted whether or not they have been published;
6. See more entry rules.
How to enter:
Entries can only be submitted via the entry website: https://submit.worldpressphoto.org
- 16 November 2016: Details about the contest, as well as the jury members’ names, were announced
- 1 December 2016: The contest website opens for entries.
- 6 January 2017: Registration for the contest website closes. All entrants must register by this deadline.
- 11 January 2017: The contest website closes for entries and judging begins.
- 13 February 2017: Winners are announced.
- 20-22 April 2017: All winners are invited to the World Press Photo Festival of Visual Journalism in Amsterdam.
For more information, visit World Press Photo Contest.