The annual Rattle Poetry Prize offers $10,000 for a single poem to be published in the winter issue of the magazine. Ten finalists will also receive $200 each and publication, and be eligible for the $2,000 Readers’ Choice Award, to be selected by subscriber and entrant vote.
Additional poems from the entries are frequently offered publication as well. In 2017 we published 20 poems that had been submitted to the contest from just over 4,000 entries.
With the winners judged in an anonymous review by the editors to ensure a fair and consistent selection, an entry fee that is simply a one-year subscription to the magazine—and a large Readers’ Choice Award to be chosen by the writers themselves—we’ve designed the Rattle Poetry Prize to be one of the most inspiring contests around.
Past winners have included a retired teacher, a lawyer, and several students. It’s fair, it’s friendly, and you win a print subscription to Rattle even if you don’t win.
The annual Rattle Poetry Prize offers
- $10,000 for a single poem to be published in the winter issue of the magazine.
- Ten finalists will also receive $200 each and publication, and be eligible for the $2,000 Readers’ Choice Award, to be selected by subscriber and entrant vote.
- Additional poems from the entries are frequently offered publication as well. In 2017 20 poems were published that had been submitted to the contest from just over 4,000 entries.
- The entry fee is a one-year subscription to Rattle (or a one-year extension for subscribers) at the regular $25 rate
- Open to writers, worldwide
- Poems must be written in English (no translations).
- Rattle’s winter issue must be a potential first publication of all works submitted. No previously published works, or works accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed but must be notified immediately if any poems are accepted elsewhere.
- No identifying personal or contact information should appear on any pages with poems.
- Entry fees are non-refundable. Send up to four poems per entry.
- There is no line-limit. Poems may be any length, any style, or any subject.
- Multiple entries by a single poet are accepted, however, each group of four poems must be treated as a separate entry, each with its own cover sheet and an additional $25 fee. Each additional entry will add an extra year to your subscription.
- Manuscripts will not be returned; include a SASE or email address if you’d like to be notified of the results.
Eligible Regions: Open for All
Entries may be submitted by Submittable, or in hardcopy within the United States. International entries must be submitted by Submittable. Please note that email entries are no longer being accepted —all electronic entries must come through Submittable.
- Submitting by Submittable
- Click the link to our Submittable contest page to purchase your subscription and upload your file to that system. Be sure to include all the poems that you’re submitting in a single file (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, .txt), removing any identifying information. Contact information is supplied through the online form.
- Submitting by Postal
- U.S. entries only! Include a check or money order for $25, payable to Rattle. For postal entries only, the first page of the packet must be a cover sheet: Type or print clearly the name, address, email address, phone number, and the titles of the poems onto the first page. Include the poems themselves (with titles) on subsequent pages, with each poem beginning a new page. Note that this is a postmark deadline, so there’s no need to waste money on rush delivery; regular mail in a cheap envelope is best.
- Send entries to:
Rattle Poetry Prize
12411 Ventura Blvd
Studio City, CA 91604
TO APPLY : Click here