Applications are now open for the second round of the Olive Tree Awards essay competition, the first such endeavor specifically designed to give young people a voice in advancing the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Conceptualized and initiated by Imtiaz Muqbil, Executive Editor of Travel Impact Newswire, the essay competition is an extension of The Olive Tree, the first publication of its kind designed to help travel & tourism become a more enthusiastic part of the solution in achieving the UN SDGs.
- Writers must be aged under 30 at the date of submission (ID proof of age will be required);
- Writers NEED NOT be employees or students of Travel & Tourism;
- Anyone can submit an essay, but there must be a Travel & Tourism angle;
- Essays must be written in English, upto a maximum length of 1,200 words;
The winner will get prize money of 1,000 USD and two runners-up will get 500 USD each.
The prize money is being generously donated by a prominent Dubai-based benefactor from the Islamic world who preferred to remain anonymous.
How to Apply?
- Study the SDGs carefully;
- Think deeply about any aspect of Travel & Tourism which is relevant to the SDGs;
- Download The Olive Tree publications to access thought-prompting ideas on the topic;
- Pen an essay presenting a good idea, venting a powerful frustration, or sharing a passion, experience or event;
- Don’t feel held back. Let your creativity, and especially your conscience, be your guide;
- Controversial themes which challenge conventional wisdom are particularly welcome;
- Look beyond environmental issues. Explore ideas in the fields of peace & conflict, good governance, anti-corruption, transparency, accountability, human rights, universal values, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Although all essays must be in English, they will be judged on the quality of the ideas, NOT the quality of the English.
The deadline for the second round of submissions is 01 August 2018. Winners will be announced on 21 September 2018.
Send all essays along with proof of age and a short personal bio-data to [email protected]
For more information please visit the official website.