Deadline: April 30, 2017
The Nikon Small World Competition is open to anyone with an interest in photography through the microscope. Truly international in scope, entries have been received from the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, Latin America, Asia, and Africa. Winners have included both professionals and hobbyists.
The subject matter is unrestricted and any type of light microscopy technique is acceptable, including phase contrast, polarized light, fluorescence, interference contrast, darkfield, confocal, deconvolution, and mixed techniques. Entries submitted to Nikon are then judged by an independent panel of experts who are recognized authorities in the area of photomicrography and photography. These entries are judged on the basis of originality, informational content, technical proficiency and visual impact.
- 1st prize: $3,000
- 2nd prize: $2,000
- 3rd prize: $1,000
- 4th prize: $800
- 5th prize: $600
- 6th prize: $400
- 7th – 10th prize: $300 each
- 11th-20th prize: $200 each
- Honorable Mentions: $100 each
- Images of distinction: Nikon Backpack or equivalent
Prizes for top 3 winners are paid by check in US funds and other prizes are paid by Visa gift card also in US funds. Winners responsible for all applicable taxes.
- Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible, with the exception of employees of Nikon, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes, related accessories or photographic equipment
- Former first prizewinners are ineligible to win first prize in the three contests immediately following the contest they won, but can win other prizes
- Any image that has won any other photomicrography competition is not eligible
- Photomicrographs must be taken using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of microscopes. All types of light microscopy and specimens are acceptable. Electron and any other microscopes that do not capture imagery using optical light technology are not permitted
- Macro Photography is not permitted
- The use of Nikon equipment is not required
- No purchase is necessary to enter or win
For more information, Click Here