Founded in 2004, the International Writers’ Workshop (IWW) at Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) has hosted over 100 writers from more than 50 countries. HKBU invites applications from interested writers to join the IWW 2019 Residency Programme from 17 February to 17 March 2019. This year’s programme culminates in the IWW Literary Festival: “The Many Worlds of Science Fiction.” Applicants are welcome to address how their work connects to our theme, but they are not required to do so.
- Writers must have at least one published book;
- Currently, reside outside of Hong Kong;
- Have a functional command of English or Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese);
- Writers must attend the entire residency from 17 February to 17 March 2019;
- Attend the Welcome Ceremony during the first week;
- Participate in the Literary Festival from 11-17 March 2019. (Writers are encouraged to share a piece of writing in conversation with the Literary Festival’s theme).
What IWW Provides:
- Roundtrip economy class airfare;
- Accommodation on HKBU’s campus for 4 weeks;
- A per diem.
HOW TO APPLY?
- A 1-page, single-spaced Artist’s Statement in English or Chinese describing your work and your writing goals for the residency programme;
- If the statement is written in Chinese, please provide a 1-paragraph summary in English;
- 12-15 pages of recent work, such as drama, digital writing, fiction, a libretto, nonfiction, or poetry. Please provide an English or Chinese translation of your work, if you do not write in English or Chinese;
- A CV or resume;
- Contact information, including e-mail addresses, for two references;
- All materials should be in 12-point type with 1-inch margins.
Please send your application materials as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 August 2018. Applicants will be notified of the results by mid-October 2018.
For further information, please contact Miss Diana Au, Programme Officer of the International Writing Programme: email@example.com, or read the official call.