Academy on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law are currently inviting applicants for its Human Rights Essay Award 2018. The Human Rights Essay Award is an annual competition sponsored by the Academy and seeks to stimulate the production of scholarly work in international human rights law.
The topic for Human rights Essay Award 2018 is Gender Violence and International Human Rights Law.
- Candidates for the Award must hold a law degree and have demonstrated experience or interest in international human rights law;
- Each participant must also include a curriculum vitae of no more than three pages in length explaining the experience or interest of the author in human rights issues;
- Past Winners cannot submit essays in future competitions.
- Articles must not exceed 35 pages in length, including footnotes;
- Essays must use Times New Roman font, 12-point double-spaced for the body of the essay and 10-point single-spaced for footnotes;
- All essays must be on letter size paper (8.5 x 11 inches/21.59 x 27.94 cm) with 1 inch (2.54 cm) margins all around;
- Character spacing must be set to normal;
- Authors should not put their name or any identifying information in their essays;
- Essays will only be accepted in Word format;
- Any essay that does not follow the guidelines will be reformatted and 5 points will be taken off. If the essay is longer than 35 pages, it will be automatically disqualified;
- The essay has to be a legal article; therefore, it will include foot pages and citations. The absence of those will cause that the essay will be disqualified.
- A full scholarship to the Program of Advanced Studies on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law for either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance options;
- Travel expenses to and from Washington D.C.
- Housing at the university dorms;
- Per diem for living expenses;
- The best articles may also be published in the American University International Law Review.
Deadline: 01 February 2018
Open to: applicants must hold a law degree and have a demonstrated experience or interest in international human rights law
Benefits: full scholarship and paid travel expenses
for more information click here