Getty Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships are intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme. Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue research projects, complete their dissertations, or expand dissertation for publication. Fellows make use of the Getty collections, join in a weekly meeting devoted to the annual theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
Both fellowships also provide a workspace at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and makes healthcare options available. These terms apply as of July 2018 and are subject to future changes.
Applicants are notified of the Getty Research Institute’s decision approximately six months following the deadline.
All fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis. Applications will be evaluated by the Getty Research Institute based on: (1) the overall quality of the application; (2) how the proposed project bears upon the annual research theme; (3) the applicant’s past achievements; and (4) how the project would benefit from the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
- Applications for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities;
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships;
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowship applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the application deadline and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period;
- Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows;
- To be eligible to apply for the 2019-2020 scholar year, Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants should not have received their degree earlier than 2014.
- Getty Predoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of USD 25,000.
- Getty Postdoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of USD 30,000.
How to apply?
- Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Fellowship application form (which includes uploading a Project Proposal; Selected Bibliography; Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract; Curriculum Vitae; Writing Sample; and Confirmation letter by the deadline);
- Two letters of recommendation are also required for the application.
For more information please visit the official website.