Africa is a center for financial innovation, home to M-Pesa, the mobile money service launched a decade ago that has revolutionized digital financial services and helped lift many thousands of households from poverty. Africa also is the continent with the largest number of people living in extreme poverty, and many lack the financial tools that could help improve their lives.
For its 13th annual contest, CGAP is looking for striking photographs and short videos that tell the story of how financial services empower poor people and communities in Africa. Show us how financial services expand opportunities for poor people in Africa and enable people to build sustainable livelihoods.
An expert panel of judges will award prizes for vivid, memorable work that shows why financial inclusion matters.
Please submit your photographs and 45-second videos by December 14, 2018. Explore the gallery.
- Grand Prize:
US $2,000 gift certificate each for photography or video equipment and accessories. (No cash, check, or money transfer will be issued.)
US $1,000 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories:
- REACHING EXCLUDED PEOPLE: Mobile phones open up markets and access to services for people who are isolated or live in remote communities. Show us how digital finance creates new opportunities for excluded Africans.
- BRIGHTER PROSPECTS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE: There are 600 million young people in Africa under the age of 25, and 72 percent of them are unemployed. Show how financial services can spur entrepreneurship among Africa’s youth.
- DIGITAL FINANCE AND DEVELOPMENT: Innovative technologies and finance together offer new solutions for addressing chronic problems such as access to water, energy and health care. Show ways that financial services are helping advance the Sustainable Development Goals in Africa.
- Judges’ Honorable Mention:
Judges may select up to 8 winners to receive US$250 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories.
- People’s Choice Winner
US$100 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories.
Voting for the People’s Choice Award begins on December 15 and ends December 21, 2018.
CGAP requests that the photographer follows the widely recognized standards and ethical guidance for development photography and obtains informed consent whenever reasonably possible from any subjects photographed. Entries must:
- Be the original work of the entrant and shot in the last two years
- Treat all subjects with respect and dignity.
- Respect the rights, sensitivities, and culture of communities and/or persons depicted, including the subject’s right to consent to being photographed.
- Fairly represent the situation, subject’s identity and physical location of the image, without alteration (other than standard photographic techniques for optimization, including removal of dust, cropping, adjustments to color and contrast, etc.)
Digital images or scans of prints may be uploaded. Original files of camera-made digital photos may not exceed 20 megabytes (20 MB), and video files 300 MB. CGAP cannot be responsible for lost, damaged, late or misdirected entries, or for faulty uploading connections, garbled transmissions, unauthorized intervention, or technical malfunctions.
Eligible Regions: Open for all.